Sunday, September 7, 2008

Summer Reading Posts: "One Hundred Years of Solitude"

Post #1: Okay so to start off. These names have to go. I wish they were just a bit more, you know, NORMAL? That would probably help a lot.Anyways, on to the book. First off I wanted to say that this book really must be read symbolically for the most part in order to fully understand. I completely agree with Kevien about Amaranta's symbolic meaning. Love always has twists and turns, and so does Amaranta's "love." It is as if the author is trying to have love speak as if it were human. It represents a sort off chaos that really intrigued me.Also, I really wanted to comment on gypsyloo. That quote on page 13 really caught my attention as well. I think the statement is very true. I mean, it's not a home unless it is permanent. What other way is completely and utterly permanent besides death? Not much I would say. I do also believe it is foreshadowing as well.This society is basically insane. As paul_in_a_nutshell said, the society was in a way, a perfect society. The love however, completely opposite. Everyone is dating everyone and it is quite unbelievable. I would say that this is all organized chaos.


Post #2: I wanted to immediately comment on babaloo's post. So the idea of fate and reusing names is a huge sort of theme to the novel. Once the name is chosen it is foreshadowing what the fate of that child is. Also, everything seems to relate to time. I'm thinking that it is a major theme? Once someone dies, it is like it is forgotten. It is as if it is just a continues cycle. The one thing I am curious about, what if the cycle is suddenly ended for some reason? What will happen?I also feel like before the war, the past was focussed on. Now, it is like the past just repeats itself all the time. Maybe even without the people even noticing. Can it somehow symbolize something on the lines of the "circle of life?"I found it interesting how allthatjazz_07 said it was like a "curse." That ties in to the theme of fate. I didn't realize that a book that is so repetitive can be completely different at the same time. Ironic huh?


Post #3: As more and more people died, the title became that much clearer. Solitude was becoming more and more realistic in this society.I also completely agree with steph113 about Ursula. While reading this, i made the connection with the bible as well. She was the only one who stayed true to herself and did what she felt was right. She didn't give in to the temptation that led everyone else to their downfall. If she had given as as adam and eve did, she would have probably had the same downfall.Finishing this novel really made me think about my last blog. When Colonel Aureliano Buendía died everyone kind of just forgot his heroic deeds he did. It is related back to the theme of time. Everything was forgotten, and the past actually became the past.Overall, i really enjoyed reading this novel. It teaches a lesson that following your heart and doing what you believe in is the overall key to success.

No comments: