Sunday, September 7, 2008

Summer Reading Posts: "The Remains of the Day"

Post #1: My first thoughts on this novel were all about the narrator's way of life. He is very much confined inside the walls of Darlington Hall as jlam09 had said. He doesn't know much of anything around him. With every topic that seems to be brought up in discussion, he somehow relates it back to Darlington Hall. Stevens has his mind set on what his trip is for (to see Miss Kenton) that he really doesn't take the time to be himself.I really wanted to comment on the fact that we were not given much information on Steven's past life, before Darlington Hall that is. We know all about how he has worked at the Hall for many years and knew Lord Darlington himself. Yet, we really do not know much about Steven's OWN personality. It is as if his personality lies within the walls of Darlington Hall only. I do agree with kavsgojsw1 on the topic of dignity. Stevens always makes sure he looks proper and uses the correct language when associating with others. I still think that he really bases himself way too much on being correct in society, and not enough on getting to know his inner self and actually being his own person. I really just think he doesn't feel comfortable with real relationships with other people. He feels very uncomfortable around people and isn't too sure how to act. That is where the idea of dignity comes into place. He knows how he is supposed to act around people considering his standings. That is all he bases his personality on. I find it kind of aggravating that he isn't his own person in a way. My prediction on the following parts of the novel is a bit undecided. In a way i feel as if Stevens won't actually find Miss Kenton but will learn a greater lesson instead. I also feel as if maybe he won't change and will stay conformed with society. He may just find Miss Kenton and say exactly what he needed to and that is that. I would really like to see other people's idea of how they think the novel will end.


Post #2: Stevens' journey so far wasn't what i would call, "a walk in the park." Nothing seems to be going his way. I truely believe his nerves are getting the best of him. He may play it off as if he is calm and collected, yet everything he interacts with relates back to Miss Kenton and Darlington Hall in some shape or form.Stevens continues to talk about his "turning points" with Miss Kenton. The interesting part is, out of all the ones he explained, they all seemed to be his fault. He overreacted about Miss Kenton trying to brighten up his room, and he definately overreacted about her wanting to know what book he was reading. He seems to want things his way only when he is around her. In my opinion, he was being so dramatic when Miss Kenton was tired. He canceled all the meetings over cocoa, just because she had a long week and was tired one of the nights. I mean come on, he does seem to talk alot. I would loose my attention towards him too. I just finished reading the "Day three evening" section of the book and I found the people in the village to be kind of odd. Who is this Mr. Lindsay character they keep talking about. They say he proved he wasn't a gentlemen, but how? Also, they are treating Stevens as if he was a hero of some sort. I wasn't really sure why. I feel the whole village is a bit sketchy.I am really interested to see how the rest of the book turns out. Does anyone have any feelings towards the people in the village? i would really like to know.


Post #3: The final stretch.. Well overrall I did enjoy reading this novel. The end of Stevens' journey really tied everything in. Dr. Carlisle seemed as if the subject of "dignity" really didn't interest him at all. While he was discussing that topic with Stevens, on the ride to the Ford, he seemed as if he was trying to change the topic. Also when asked about his definition of dignity, he completely ignored Stevens and started talking about how nice the Ford was. I think it may have been because dignity comes in so many ways and his view of it may cause that peaceful ride to turn into some form of argument. Also, Mr. Cardinal and his view on the meetings was somewhat odd. He truely believed that the intentions of the meetings were bad. I was a bit confused about the actual meaning of the meeting. Can someone please explain their view on if Mr. Cardinal was right or not. The meeting with Miss Kenton wasn't what I had expected. They didn't really seem to have the connection I thought they would until the end. Miss Kenton had tears in her eyes, and Stevens had stated earlier that his heart was breaking. Also, the way that Stevens opened up with a complete stranger really surprised me. It is really not like him to do that. He is a very confined man and doesn't often open up. The man was right though. It was related back to the title, "The Remains of the Day." It is true, stop looking back on the past like Stevens always did. It doesn't help the future at all. You still have the rest of your life. Like they say, "The evening's the best part of the day." One last thing, I do believe he is a new man and he will soon start to be himself and stop trying so hard to impress others. I do believe he will be able to say simple sentences and just express how he feels after the experience he had on this journey of a lifetime.

No comments: